Nearly 2 years ago, I started getting rid of all my baby stuff, it was a hard and sad time, but I was ready to accept I was going to be a mother to an only child. Just a few short weeks later, I found out I was pregnant. I was pleasantly shocked.
With most of my stuff given away or donated to local charities, I found myself nearly back to square one – I had nothing for the baby that was about to arrive. However, fate had another plan for me. I was on my way to being a Fisher Price Mom, the only one with a baby and they were going to help me out.
Selecting products for a baby the second time around is completely different than picking out things the first time. As a first time Mom, I didn’t know what I truly needed, just what I thought I needed and wanted. I saw products other parents had or saw commercials and thought I needed them, it turns out there was no need for a stand alone bassinet among many other unused “must have” baby products.
As a second time Mom, here are the things I would suggest for a new parent:
- Bouncy chair, we had the My Little Snugabunny Deluxe Bouncer. It’s great for baby to sit “upright” and be comfy while you cook, clean and maybe grab a tub.
- Playpen / bassinet combo. The bassinet is good to use until the baby can sit up and the playpen is good to keep kids from escaping when they learn to crawl and walk (wonder if I can stick my 5 year old in there?) It’s also great for travelling.
- Highchair. A highchair is a must have. Last time around I had a ginormous one, this time, I went for the simple Space Saver Highchair. It takes up less room in the house and fits at the dinner table. So smart.
- Baby Bath tub. Baby tubs make bathing your infants much easier than trying to keep little ones above water in a big tub. When we went on vacation and didn’t have a tub, we just put the baby in the sink. But, it’s much easier with a proper baby tub.
- Stroller and Car Seat. This goes without saying. I liked using an infant carrier car seat that attaches to a stroller, it makes transport so much easier, especially when baby is always falling asleep while on the go. I’m not complaining.
- Nursing Pillow if you plan on nursing. With both girls, a nursing pillow helped both of us get in the right position. If you don’t plan on nursing, you can cross this off your list.
Those are the must have items. Both of my girls used these essentials regularly and they made my life easier.
Here are a few things I recommend, but aren’t necessarily must haves:
- Swing (you’re shocked, right?) While I would have died without the swing for my first born, the second baby didn’t care for it as much. But if you’re looking for one, The Fisher Price Rain forest is a great place to start.
- Jumper (shocked again, I know….) Once again, my oldest could have jumped the feet right out of her sleeper, the baby on the other hand, meh. My oldest was in love with the Fisher Price Rainforest Jumperoo
- Baby Carrier. A baby carrier made my life easier a lot of the time, but it can get hard on the back. I liked the convenience of having free hands. Both kids liked it. It’s not an absolute must have, but close.
- Crib, ok, well you are most likely going to need a crib, but just be prepared to not have your baby actually sleep in it, but it does make a room look pretty and eventually you can use the crib mattress for a toddler bed.
and… that’s my list. The rest of the things, tummy time mats, soothers (little music things that connect to the side of the cribs that the babies aren’t using), mobiles, “walkers” aren’t a necessity, but can make the first year of your babies life (and yours) easier sometimes. And of course, there are toys (like the Crawl Around Car – highly recommend), but these things aren’t a requirement either, they are just plain fun.
I’m so thrilled that I get to be a Mom for a second time, it’s a completely different experience. Maybe it’s because my children are so different, but I’m sure it also has to do with my experience in knowing what works, or more specifically, what doesn’t work.
*DISCLOSURE: I AM A FISHER-PRICE MOM AND I RECEIVE SPECIAL PERKS AS PART OF MY AFFILIATION WITH THIS GROUP. THE OPINIONS ON THIS BLOG ARE MY OWN.