The Time Has Come!

by Mommy on May 4, 2012

This post deserves a disclaimer at the beginning.  Warning to all of you who know me, you may want to stop reading now.  What I’m about to say, might just make you uncomfortable.

Hum, still here?  Well, don’t say I didn’t warn you.  Perhaps I shouldn’t have started off my post so intriguing… let me try this again…

Nothing to see here people, keep going, move along….

Ah, ok,, I think it worked!

Actually, for those of you who know me well, this probably won’t be much of a surprise anyway (all right, now I’m totally trying to downplay it)… but you’re still here right?

It seems as though I’m stalling, and well, I probably am.  I was actually debating if I should even blog about this – it’s pretty personal.  But hey, next time you see me, it’ll be obvious, so I may as well give you a heads up.  And, I figure it’ll be great insight for others.

So here goes nothing… I’m getting Plastic Surgery!  … but not exactly the kind you’re thinking.  I know, right away you were thinking, “Lynette,  good for you – rhinoplasty”.  Well, I actually had a nose job done about 10 years ago, and it’s pretty obvious it wasn’t cosmetic – just a blockage, nothing exciting.  Even if I had a blog back then, I probably wouldn’t have blogged about it. So, no nose job this time either.

So, here I am again still stalling… *deep breath in* *deep breath out*

It all started when I was 8 and called a “turtle”.   It wasn’t cool to be a turtle, everyone else was a surfboard, but not me, I was a full fledged turtle – kids can be so mean!  Can you imagine, a poor 8 year old being called a turtle and there was nothing I could do about it?  But it was very true, I was a turtle and I could not hide it, although I tried.

2 years later, it got worse, harassing phone calls to my home, yup the boys were starting to notice I was different.  All the baggy shirts couldn’t change the fact I was starting to look like Dolly Parton, and not because I bought a blond curly wig.

Then in high school, I had one  teacher that couldn’t even look me in the eye, he seemed to think my big hazel eyes were a foot lower.  It always made for odd conversations because I would try ducking down to catch his eyes, but his eyes also moved lower as well.

It wasn’t until my late teens or even early 20′s until I wore a bathing suit without a t-shirt on top – for two reasons.

1. All the men stared at me
  2. All the women stared at me

Oh and there is probably also a reason 3… it was nearly impossible to find a suit to fit.

And, here we are today.  My plan was to get a reduction after I had 2 kids.   Then again, I always though I’d have 2 kids by the time I was 28 and well, my first only came at 29 – who makes big master plans anyway?  Either way, the time has come, I am getting a breast reduction (please don’t penalize me Google for using that word, this is still a family friendly site).

I actually thought it was going to take a very long while for this to go through.  Just last week I went to visit my doctor to get the ball rolling, I was told “There’s a long waiting list, it will be 6 months before you can see a plastic surgeon, but if you want to go private, you can pay $12,000.”  Then I said “Perfect, I have a huge bank account with no way to spend it”, well that’s actually what I dreamed about, I really agreed to wait 6 months.

A week passed and I received a call from my Dr’s office.  They had an appointment for me, on FRIDAY! What? What about this 6 months waiting list?

So, I’m in the process of getting the documents sent off and approved through MSI.   I’m super, super, super excited! LaSenza and Victoria Secret, here I come!

Sorry to all of you who thought I was pregnant. Although I will probably be still losing a few pounds, it wont be through child birth. If  I do get pregnant, I promise I will call or tell you in person before posting it on my Facebook wall.

Whew.. now that’s a huge weight getting that off my chest…. pun kinda intended.

{ 64 comments }

alissa apel May 4, 2012 at 7:55 pm

I wish I could get one. I’ve always been big breasted.

Mommy May 4, 2012 at 8:21 pm

I’ve heard it’s life changing. Not that I have a bad life, I dont… but just to buy normal shirts and bras will be amazing :)

Ginger Leah Gervais May 4, 2012 at 7:55 pm

Best of luck with everything ~ Hoping for a speedy recovery :)

It's OK to be WEIRD! May 4, 2012 at 8:03 pm

I’ve never had this worry personally (LOL!) but I have MANY friends and relatives who have. Kudos for taking the plunge. It will probably make you feel better in LOTS of ways, not the least of which will be your BACK! :) I’m excited for you!!

HUGS,
~ Raylene

Tarasview May 4, 2012 at 8:08 pm

good for you!! xox

Natalie @Nat_Rea May 4, 2012 at 8:13 pm

Jealous! I’ve always wanted one too! I was called ‘Wonderbra’ in grade 5 and am a DD right now. Keep in touch, I want to hear ALL about it! You may inspire me to take the plunge!!

Mommy May 4, 2012 at 8:20 pm

That’s hard. I also had a nickname called “Miss Stuffs herself” … I so wish I could have taken Kleneex out of my chest and make them deflate. The only thing I was using Kleenex for was to wipe tears from my eyes…

I’ll be writing about my journey. I’ve heard insurance may be stopping coverage in the future, so it might be something worth looking at.

Alyssa May 4, 2012 at 8:17 pm

Glad to finally know what’s up :) Good luck!!

Mommy May 4, 2012 at 8:19 pm

well really Alyssa.. it’s down … very down…. but soon, it will be up! :)

Chelle May 4, 2012 at 8:24 pm

Congrats! hope everything goes well!

I actually HAVE given a dr the “great, i’ve got 10k judt sitting around” line when we were told we’d need to do IVF/ICSI to get pg. dr (intern) was shocked :P

Mommy May 5, 2012 at 8:40 am

:) we were ready to spend 10K for IVF, I found out I was pregnant 4 days before … NATURALLY, after almost 4 years of trying with no success.

SarahM May 4, 2012 at 8:37 pm

As a pretty small chested girl, I never understood getting a “reduction” until I had my babies and all of sudden had a set of double D’s. Clothes don’t fit right, the bras are ugly and have big straps and I can’t wait until I’ve weaned the baby so I can have my nice small ones back.

So happy for you! And good news on the wait time!

Mommy May 5, 2012 at 8:42 am

That’s it. It’s been like that since I was 8.

Very good news… this will all happen faster than I expected. But really what’s a little bit of wait time when it’s been like this for 24 years?

Tiffany (As For My House) May 6, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Not to be a wet blanket… but sometimes they don’t go back down…

Ask me how I know! LOL!

Mommy May 6, 2012 at 6:57 pm

how do you know?? :)

Tante Rita May 4, 2012 at 8:38 pm

Good for you Lynette!I’m sure you will feel so much more comfortable after you have this done. A girl I worked with had it done and she was so happy with the results. Good luck.

Mommy May 5, 2012 at 8:43 am

Thanks Tante Rita! That’s what I’m hoping for. I know people who had it done YEARS ago and they still talk about it as the best thing they’ve done for themselves. I’m really, really excited.

Julie | Suburban Moms Media May 4, 2012 at 8:46 pm

That’s really great news! I think some times it’s better when these “major” things happen unexpectedly and quickly – then you don’t have months and months to think and worry – you can just go and have it done, fast and easy :) Wishing you all the best – I’ll be watching for a post-op post.

Mommy May 5, 2012 at 8:44 am

I’ll make updates as I know more info… maybe even before and after photos? I don’t know….

Kevin Linkie May 4, 2012 at 9:07 pm

I have been thinking of getting one myself lynette but for some reason I cant find a doc who performs male breast reductions LMAO.

Congratso to you I know many of my lady friends who have had it done and it was always a positive result.

YAY for you.
Kevin :)

Mommy May 5, 2012 at 8:44 am

There actually are Kevin. I’m not sure if it’s included with Health care, but it’s a medical condition for men as well.

Thanks, I’m PUMPED

Debbie W May 4, 2012 at 9:54 pm

Your back with thank you…and your neck. No more bra marks. Been there, done that. Just be prepared for a bit of down time.
You will feel uncomfortable for a while. I’m telling you from experience, the pain is manageable, and as time goes on the tightness from the sutures as they heal, is a little uncomfortable, but the biggest inconvenience was not being able to hug. I really missed that. The extra pressure of a good ‘ole bear hug hurts. Now the scars are faded, and my clothes fit better, but the one thing I couldn’t forget, or get back were my hugs.
Celebrate and get yourself something pretty and lacy when it’s all done.

Mommy May 5, 2012 at 8:46 am

I’m ok with recovery time. Might be a little hard with a little one, but I have an EXCELLENT support system.

Thanks for the tips on the bear hugs, I’ll have to make sure to get as many hugs in before then. Anyone who knows me, knows I’m a big hugger!! It’ll be worth it none the less.

Thanks Debbie for sharing your experience :)

Jennifer LeBlanc May 4, 2012 at 9:59 pm

Life changing i’m sure, if there is anything that i can do let me know. Good luck and keep care of yourself.

Mommy May 5, 2012 at 8:47 am

Thanks Jen!!!

Paula Schuck May 4, 2012 at 11:00 pm

Lynnette: this is funny. I totally thought you were pregnant. I had no idea this was an issue. I met you at blissdom and really was not Looking. I was watching you text really fast. I hope this helps and makes you feel better. I have heard the back pain gets a lot better. Moms friends had it done. ( one had five kids) eep!

Paula

Mommy May 5, 2012 at 8:49 am

LOL!!! That’s cute Paula. I’m hoping my back and neck will get better as well. 5 kids… yikes!

Doris C May 5, 2012 at 4:32 am

I know the feeling, always having to rest them on a desk!! Playing baseball and running to first, yikes there isn’t a supportive enough bra! Good for you!!

Mommy May 5, 2012 at 8:50 am

Doris.. YES or the dinner table… how rude is that? But it’s so much more comfortable. I have a sports bar that is SOOOO tight, it gives me a uniboob, and I still jiggle. :)

Maegan May 5, 2012 at 4:37 am

i didn’t read the other posts but i just want to say that getting a reduction is nothing to be ashamed of. my husbands grandmother actually got one a couple years ago and she said it was the best thing she ever did. her back pain is gone and she feels so much better now that they are not in the way anymore. im sure that you will feel, such the same.

Mommy May 5, 2012 at 8:52 am

Thanks for the encouragement!! It’s just a hard thing to come out an talk about online :D But I think in the best interest in helping others, it will help.

Amanda Tempel May 5, 2012 at 5:46 am

I hope you have a safe surgery and heal quickly.

I’m 21, and I have a large bust size too. My back hurts often, and I’m worried it will only get with age :(

Mommy May 5, 2012 at 8:53 am

It probably will only get worse with age… mine have.. and especially with nursing. Gravity is a terrible thing.

Vickie Couturier May 5, 2012 at 6:40 am

Sweetie,as a size 44DDD I totally understand,I just wish I had the money to do it too,,my back an shoulders hurt me all the time,,,so you go girl!! do it while your young,,,im 56 an still would like it done

Mommy May 5, 2012 at 8:54 am

Yikes Vickie! I’m a 34 J/K. Thankfully, here in Canada it’s paid for if you fit the criteria. I’m in the process of getting approved for it right now.

It’s never too late for you to do it.

Maija @ Maija's Mommy Moments May 5, 2012 at 9:28 am

I want to have this done as well but was also waiting to finish my family (which is now complete at 3). I’m thinking of giving it another year though as my youngest isn’t quite 3 years old and still needs a lot of carrying and lifting. My Doctor suggested I wait until she’s a bit bigger and a little more independant so caring for her doesn’t interfer with healing. I can’t wait though! Good luck and of course this goes without saying but keep us posted!

Mommy May 5, 2012 at 6:57 pm

:D Good luck! And not to worry, I’ll be writing all about it.

beth@fabulouswon May 5, 2012 at 9:39 am

oh! Good Luck, Lynette. I’ve heard great things about breast reduction resultsand my sister-in-law wants one too..she’s an F cup I think..hard to find bra’s huh.

Mommy May 5, 2012 at 6:58 pm

Thanks Beth! Impossible to find bras. they are usually in the $150 – $200 range and still the underwire snaps…

Deborah / Mom2Michael May 5, 2012 at 10:42 am

Good for you girl! One of my dear friends had a reduction a couple of years ago and she raves about it. Bye-bye back pain!

You’ll feel and look great!

Mommy May 5, 2012 at 6:59 pm

Bye bye to a lot of things :) Welcome new life!

Thanks for the support Deborah.

Jennifer May 5, 2012 at 10:52 am

Good for you Lynette! I will be thinking of you and cheering you on! I hope the recovery is quick and easy! good luck mama!

Mommy May 5, 2012 at 6:59 pm

Thanks Jen :) I hope it is too… either way, no matter how long it takes, the end result will be worth it.

Carole M May 5, 2012 at 11:16 am

Good for you!! I keep humming and hawing over it – I really want one but am afraid of the recovery. Maybe you can let us know how that is. Good for you!!

Mommy May 5, 2012 at 7:00 pm

There’s no question for me. I would have done it 4 years ago if my master plan had worked out :) I’ve been thinking about it since I’ve been a teenager.

Soozle May 5, 2012 at 11:29 am

Good for you for taking the leap to make yourself comfortable in your own skin! :-)

I know a few gals who have undergone breast reduction surgery and the postive change it made in their lives was tremendous! :-)

Nancy T May 5, 2012 at 11:35 am

So VERY VERY jealous!! I went through the exact same thing and at 39 I still have the same problem with people (mostly lecherous men) thinking my eyes are a bit lower – and don’t even get me started on the granny bras!

How I dream of wearing La Senza or Victoria’s Secrets! I’m a 34E/G and would love to be a C!

Good luck and I can’t wait to hear all about it!

Mommy May 5, 2012 at 7:04 pm

I also find that some women can judge you before you open your mouth. Like you’ve paid big bucks for a boob job… and are just a bimbo!

Debbie Cahoon May 5, 2012 at 11:42 am

I’m sorry to hear about all of the taunting that you went through; I know exactly how you feel because I went through it but for a different reason. I wish you all the luck in the world. Surgery is not fun; I know about that too. You’ll be fine. I’ll be thinking of you.

Mommy May 5, 2012 at 7:05 pm

Kids are really bad.. I think everyone has something they went through at school :( some worse than others, but they all hurt.

Thanks for your support.

A.Smith May 5, 2012 at 11:43 am

Lynette, good for you and cudos for your courage. You are helping a great deal of women by sharing this. You are in my prayers today… stay strong and carry on :)

Mommy May 5, 2012 at 7:04 pm

I hope so… this is my master plan :) It’s about helping others as well.

Thanks!!!

1955nurse May 5, 2012 at 1:18 pm

Good for you – you’re so lucky! I need this done, too — I was “normal” sized until after my kids, etc. & now I’ve got the ridges in my shoulders, backaches, etc. But my Insurance deemed it “Cosmetic” so… have to wait awhile. You’re in my thoughts & prayers, hope you have a smooth Surgery & a blessed recovery! (and Happy mother’s Day, a bit early as well!!!)

Tiffany (As For My House) May 6, 2012 at 5:02 pm

This is what I was wondering (being in the U.S.) … Can I get my insurance to see it as medically necessary so that it will be covered?

Mommy May 6, 2012 at 6:57 pm

I’m not sure in the US what they offer. In Canada you have to qualify. I’ve sent my paperwork off to see f I qualify.

Jan Messali May 5, 2012 at 4:07 pm

It’s always a scary first step to take, but good for you for going through with it. I always wanted a reduction and at age 46 finally got one, but not the way I had wanted. I had breast cancer and had to have a double mastectomy. Due to complications with chemo I had no breasts at all for the good part of a year. Finally I got to have reconstruction and I told the doctor I wanted to be smaller than I had been. He laughed because most people ask to be larger. I love my new smaller size. It’s more comfortable and I think I look better. Enlist a couple of friends to help you take care of things around the house… you’ll need recovery time. Best wishes!

Mommy May 5, 2012 at 7:06 pm

Oh no, I’m so sorry to hear this, but thanks for sharing and I’m glad that you are pleased with the final outcome :)

I have an amazing support team, so recovery should be smooth.

Debbie kelly May 5, 2012 at 9:20 pm

Good for my friend, you do what’s best for you. I’m proud of you.

jenn May 6, 2012 at 1:55 am

I certainly do not have that problem. Make sure you celebrate the new you with lots of frillies

Shash May 6, 2012 at 2:20 pm

whoot whoot!!! what a relief on your back and shoulders this will be!!!! :) here’s to a quick recovery! xoxoxo

SoberJulie May 6, 2012 at 4:35 pm

Oh Lynette, good for you! I’ve had 2 very good friends make the same decision and they don’t regret it one bit. It’s changed their lives for the better…i’ll be praying here

Mommy May 7, 2012 at 8:59 pm

Thanks Julie! I’ve only heard positive stories… which is odd because usually when people talk it’s about negative experiences. Perhaps there aren’t very negative experiences with this surgery!

Emily B May 6, 2012 at 9:56 pm

Good luck! I know a couple women who have had that done and neither have regretted it for an instant.

I have some advice for you. It is advice I was given after I had breast surgery – advice I ignored and regretted to the depths of my soul and body afterwards!!! Please take it to heart! They will give you pain meds. Wonderful pain meds (that for me didn’t really take care of the pain but they did take the edge off it). TAKE A STOOL SOFTENER WITH YOUR MEDS. Seriously. It’s something nobody wants to talk about or buy for that matter but if you don’t you will 100% regret it with every fibre of your body. That is all and I hope it helps :)

Mommy May 7, 2012 at 9:00 pm

Thanks Emily for the tip! I will make sure to ask for a double dose. The last thing I want to worry about are my bowels :)

Noted and I’ll remind my husband.

{ 1 trackback }