I love food! I especially love eating food. It’s apparent since my recent vacation that I love eating food more than exercise and I have to start working on slimming down again, especially with summer right around the corner (yippee).
Earlier this week, myself and a few local Halifax bloggers got together at cooking school at Superstore to learn about nutrition from a dietitian. It was incredibly insightful. We went though the store to learn about reading labels, nutrition and other helpful tips to make healthy grocery shopping choices.
Here are a few things we learned:
- Keep the skin on veggies like cucumbers, it’s the healthiest part
- Women should have 50 grams of fat a day, 70 grams for men
- If you are going to eat deli meat, limit it to 2 times a week and go for turkey, chicken or roast beef
- Sodium safe level is 1500 grams a day – check on some of those frozen dinners, you will be shocked
- Bologna starts out as a liquid
- Bread should be 100% whole grain, not whole wheat
- Chicken Breast with skin is 20 grams of fat, Without the skin it’s only 1 gram
- We should not have more than 1 package item per meal
- Butter vs margarine: If you don’t use a lot – you choose. If you use a lot – go for margarine
We also leaned a lot more about fats, and making healthy choices when it comes to fats. In fact, I bought fish for us to have this week (not fish sticks), real fish. Fish is a high source of Omega 3 good fats. So, this week we will be having pan fried fish – twice.
I learned so much from this mini info session. The real tour is an hour and a half, we had a mini 1/2 hour tour. After our tour, we also had dinner, soup, salad, chicken and the most delicious fruit crumble, which is actually suppose to be a breakfast recipe, but it’s so good it can also be a dessert… that’s my kind of breakfast.
You can get a tour of the store too. I HIGHLY recommend it. In Nova Scotia, the tours are taking place in the following Super Stores in March:
- March 13th 2-3 PM Windsor Superstore (Hants County)
- March 14th 10-11 AM Bridgewater Superstore
- March 15th 11 AM – 12 noon Antigonish Superstore
- March 20th 2-3 PM Bayers Lake Superstore
- March 21st 2-3 PM Portland Street Superstore
- March 22nd 2-3 PM Lower Sackville Superstore
Sign up at the pharmacy counter, you wont be disappointed.
- 1 lucky Canadian reader is going to win a $40 Superstore Gift card
- Make a comment below about a health tip
Bonus Entries: (make a different comment below for each entry)
- Follow My Wee View on Twitter and ReTweet this link (you can tweet this once a day for extra entries)
- Like My Wee View on Facebook (and if you want to, suggest it to your friends)
- Share this giveaway link on Facebook
- Make a comment on a non giveaway post
- Subscribe to My Wee View through email or feed
- Blog about this giveaway with a link back to this post
Giveaway is open to Canadian addresses. Closes March 30th @ 11:59 PM PST.