I am a Mom that tries to do the best thing for my child in every situation (who doesn’t right?!?). Looking back, there are probably some things that I could have done better, and there are probably some other things that I didn’t have to do at all. One thing I regret not trying is making my own baby food. At the time, it seemed like such a big on taking – but after receiving the Make it Easy Kit for review from Infantino, I now see how easy it is. (Look out baby number 2)!
I received a number of items from Make it Easy, it actually comes in an entire kit. My daughter may be almost 2, but there are still products that are usable for older children.
Here are the contents of the kit:
The “Make it Easy” system includes:
- Stackable Food Pots – These stackable food pots are perfect for storing fresh baby food. The pots clip together for easy storage and are see-through so you can tell what food is inside. 6 months+
- Steam Release Micro Dish- This Micro-cook dish ensures healthy cooking for babies. Cooking food in a microwave is a healthy way of cooking as it helps to retain all the nutrients. The lid has an easy valve system to let the steam out of the container. There is also less waste as the bowl is an ideal size for a baby food portion. 6 months +
- Mash & Serve Bowl – The Food Masher & Bowl is great for use at home or out and about. For instant baby food, simply mash banana, avocado, peach or pear on its own or with a little breast milk or formula. It’s perfect for making individual portions for baby. 6 months +.
- Double Decker Mealbox – This Lunch Box makes it easy to store baby purees & finger foods. The double layer storage box ensures that food doesn’t get squashed and with a spoon & fork included, it’s easy to feed your baby when you are out and about. 9 months +.
- Freeze Tray – This large Food Cube Tray works to store small portions of your baby’s food. By preparing food in batches and freezingit in the food cube tray, you need only cook once or twice a week. Ideal for weaning. 6 months+.
- Fresh Food Mill – This Food Mill is ideal for making smooth purees for young babies as it gets rid of tough fibers, which are difficult to digest, in foods like dried apricots and sweet corn. 6 months +.
- Fill & Freeze Puree Pops – Sucking on something cold will help soothe sore gums when baby is teething. These ice lolly molds are ideal for making fresh fruit lollies from pureed fresh fruit and pure fruit juice. 9 months +.
Of all the products that are included in the Make it Easy system, I have a few favourites.
I love the fresh food mill. I have used this to puree things like strawberries and boiled carrots. It’s pretty simple as well, just put your food into the base of the mill, put the top on and start twisting. I have to hold down pretty hard with my left hand to keep the mill in place (it would be nice if there was a suction cup on the bottom), so if you are milling for a long time, it could get tiring for both arms. I will also warn you about pulling the mill out of the little socket,,, after everything is milled it can make somethings watery, which can mean splashing (take my word for it). Despite these minor things, I was very pleased and encouraged by how easy it was to mill the food.
After milling the food, I put it into the fill & freeze Puree Pops. This was a huge hit with my daughter. She absolutely loved the Popsicles and kept on asking for more and more. There are 4 that all snap together, so I was able to give her lots throughout the day, and not feel guilty because it was just pure and fresh strawberries with nothing added. I also tried it with pureed carrots and although it wasn’t quite as successful, she still chewed on the frozen pops. Each pop is just the right size for a toddler or infant and there is a large base and a drip tray around the bottom of the Popsicle. Although it didn’t totally eliminate the spills, it surly minimized them.
I also love the storage containers. I actually use some of them for work. The stackable pots are just the right size for salad dressings / peanut butter or any other condiment. Each container stacks right on top of the other as well, so if you store them correctly there should be no problem finding the tops to the containers. They would be great for storing any of the pureed food that you made. They are small enough so that each container would be satisfactory for a serving of fresh and pure veggies, fruit or meat.
The last item that I really liked about the kit is the double decker meal box. These boxes make getting snacks and meals together for my daughter (and myself) simple and organized. I have used these to store snacks such as snap peas and carrots. They are 2 long and skinny boxes that fit perfectly into one larger box that is the size of a sandwich and those boxes all fit into another box that clips them all into place and there is even a small fork and spoon in the top of the lid. It basically has everything you need for a snack or meal all in one convenient place. The only thing is, when you have your meal in each of the containers, they don’t fit together like a Polish doll anymore, each container is separate, but once you are finished eating, they all pack together nicely.
On top of all the Infantino products that are offered in the Make it Easy system, it also comes with a cook book to help make healthy meals for your infant and toddler. It’s called Starting Solids by Annabel Karmel, it includes more than 50 recopies to help introduce your baby to “real” food.
I used to buy jars of baby food and I can hardly believe how expensive they are for a little bit of smooched up carrots. If I would have known how easy it was to mill food I would have probably done it. Maybe not exclusively, but I would have definitely done some. The recipes sound delicious and healthy, some are a little cumbersome but others are pretty simple.
Overall, I like the kit and it has inspired me to try to make my own baby food – if baby number 2 comes anytime soon, they are going to enjoy homemade cuisines.
Buy it: Available exclusively at Babys R Us retail stores this August.
Giveaway: One lucky reader is going to receive a variety of products from the Infantino Annabel Karmel “Make It Easy” line.
To Enter: Visit Infantino and make a comment back here about your favourite product
- Follow My Wee View on Twitter on Twitter and ReTweet this giveaway RT @myweeview #giveaway – Infantino Make it Easy products and Starting Solids Book http://bit.ly/9xwhoO (you can Tweet this once a day for Extra Entries)
- Like Infantino on Facebook
- Like My Wee View on Facebook
- Blog about this giveaway with a link to this post
- Grab my button
- **Follow My Wee View on Google Friends Connect
- Suscribe to my blog by RRS Feed
- Subscribe to my blog by email
- Make a comment on a NON giveaway post
Giveaway closes August 27 th @ 11:59 pm PST. Open to US and Canada